Garden paths are a functional element of a garden plot. In addition, garden paths are an aesthetic part of the outdoor area. Widespread material for creating a path is stone.
It is strong and durable, easy to care for and wear-resistant. Let’s take a closer look at how to make paths from stone with your own hands.
Varieties of garden paths
Neighborhood paths are divided into several types. They differ in the way the path is created, as well as in the types of materials used in the work.
- Pathways-trails. Created in a natural way in places where people walk most often. The minus of such a path in the absence of reinforcement, the soil is washed away by rain, the path becomes dirty and impassable. To improve the appearance of the path, lay a brick, stone, slate or any other fixing material along its edges.
- Gravel paths. A simple and quick way to create a sturdy walkway that is unaffected by the weather. Start by removing the top layer of earth to a depth of 10 cm. Make a layer of geotextile to prevent weeds from germinating. Place a border around the edges. Backfill the entire area with pebbles, sand, expanded clay. Variety the appearance of the path with natural stones.
- Concrete paths. Use this type of pathway in those places where you plan a heavy load (the road to the garage, or from the gate to the house door, the most frequently used pathway). Lay the chosen track material on the prepared concrete screed. Raised 5-10 cm from the ground, the path will remain clean during rain and bad weather.
Paving slab walkway
The paving slab walkway looks neat, the material is durable. Before starting work, consider the colors of the paving slabs and the desired pattern.
- Start laying the path by marking it out. Use stakes and stretched twine for this work. Use a tape measure to mark the boundaries of the future path.
- Remove the top layer of soil, lay a geotextile, fill the base with concrete.
- Pour a layer of cement mixed with sand on the dry screed.
Smooth the surface with a rake.
- Lay the tiles by pushing the blocks tightly together. The gap between the tiles is no more than 2 mm. Tamp down each block with a wooden mallet.
У Lay all the solid blocks and make sure they are level. Remove any unevenness with a mallet.
- Lay out the side missing pieces, install the curb. Use cement mortar to fix it in place.
- Backfill the resulting gaps between the tiles with a mixture of cement and sand, fill the path with water. Repeat the procedure in places where the cement mixture sags.
The track is ready, exclude the load for the next 2-3 days.
Natural stone walkway
The technology of laying a natural stone path is similar to paving, but there are a number of features, which I will talk about next. Remember the three rules for laying a stone walkway.
- Make the path at an elevation and a slight angle to the edges to avoid water accumulation. 4-5 cm in height, and a slope angle of 3 degrees is enough;
- Do not neglect the curb, otherwise the path will sprawl sideways;
- Choose non-slippery rocks, so the path does not become a skating rink after the rain. And also for the path will not suit the shell rock and limestone, they quickly deteriorate and are washed away by rain.
The procedure is carried out in several stages.
- Prepare the base, dig a trench of the required size.
- Lay a geotextile. On top pour a layer of pebbles for drainage, complete the preparation with a layer of sand.
- Put stones on the sand, tamping with a rubber mallet. When the laid out area reaches 3-4 m – work the cracks. To fill the gaps, use sand-cement mortar, previously diluted to a semi-liquid state.
- To strengthen the path and increase its service life, replace the base for laying the stones with concrete mortar. Pour the mortar into the trench, lay the stones, leveling with a rubber mallet. Fill the gaps with sand-cement mortar.
There is a non-cemented method of laying the path. Its main difference is the use of sand to grout the gaps between the stones. Such paths are beautiful and neat, and allow you to save capital investment.
Creating a pathway with your own hands is a creative process. Show your imagination, make the paths unique and bright. And observance of technology will allow you to extend the life of the track up to 10-15 years.